Monday, August 4, 2008

Bikes appear at Dupont Circle!

For the past month or so, I've noticed what looked like a fancy bike rack next to the old Riggs bank at Dupont Circle. But there were never any bikes. Then today, for the first time, at about 8:45, there were four, each emblazoned with SmartBike DC. Not that I'm all that into biking (fear + discomfort), but somehow I hadn't heard anything about it.

They look like the old school bikes I sometimes see French people riding to work and less bulky than the VĂ©lib bikes in Paris (at left). Judging from their online map of pickup and drop off spots, of which only 1/3 of which had bikes available as of posting, they are going to need to see expansion like the French version.

Two other things: first, it's sort of weird that they are operated by Clear Channel. Then again, what don't they own? Second, and most importantly, does this mean DOT is going to do something to make me feel safer as a cyclist???

No comments: