Tuesday, July 1, 2008

La meilleure boule à facette

So I didn't blog about anything yesterday because I spent the morning actually working and the afternoon on a field trip, more or less. About 10 of us drove out, in two separate cars (which is another story, namely that I'm lucky to be alive) to the NASA Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, Md.

We went there to see "Science on a Sphere," which is a spherical (duh) screen that uses four projectors, a computer, and a Wiimote to show presentations. Basically, you can make this sphere look like Jupiter, Mars, the Moon, and so on, and you can show/track changes on earth like the melting and freezing of ice caps. Purchasing one will set you back about $250,000, apparently.

The videos were cool, in that "these planets remind me how small I am" way. I had to remember a lot of things I learned in grade school/high school (planetary order, Jupiter's moons, etc). The very mature deduction that we basically all came to, independently, is that this thing would make the world's best disco ball.

No comments: