Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Paper and patience

A week or so ago I finished the papercut on the left. As with most of my projects, I'm not actually sure how long it took, because I zoned out. At any rate, I worked on it over several days because my fingers got tired. It's all one piece, all still attached. The paper is a page from an Walther Petri's children's book Humbug ist eine Bahnstation, which I picked for a few dollars on one of Second Story Books outdoor tables. This page has two short poems about twins named Fritz and Klaus and how each can be distinguished from the other. (The top part says that people often get them confused, and then another part that's no longer legible explains that they have different addresses. Cute.)

Fittingly enough, I got the idea from the German craft of scherenschnitte, although the one I did isn't as symmetrical as typical ones would be. My dad, actually, was the one who first taught me the word, and we have a framed piece at home of an animal pile similar to this one. I'm realizing this makes me feel so Pennsylvanian. (Totally unrelated to paper, but I love how that Wikipedia entry references Shangy's. Beeeer.)

This is a birthday card I made fer Zoa H. using a page from the same book. This time, obviously, the black paper is on top.

I'm still waiting for my Rob Ryan tile to get here. Woo..

No comments: