Thursday, April 3, 2008

Food feed to feed Food

Apropos to two NYT articles that directly or indirectly discuss food...I am hungry for lunch.

From the one about willpower that reminded me how weakly I guard my money when confronted with pretty things:

In one pioneering study, some people were asked to eat radishes while others received freshly baked chocolate chip cookies before trying to solve an impossible puzzle. The radish-eaters abandoned the puzzle in eight minutes on average, working less than half as long as people who got cookies or those who were excused from eating radishes.
The person who thinks it's truly pioneering that RADISHES are less satisfying and motivating than chocolate chip cookies should monitor the cookie jar in my kitchen. (I'd like to think I am permanently excused from eating radishes.)

As for the microwaving article that Siobhan sent me--what NYT writer microwaves his fork? "Metal fork tines are especially likely to spark," writes Harold McGee. "I learned that when I melted chocolate and left a fork in the glass bowl. The whole batch tasted burned." The article, overall, doesn't add much to what's on Wikpedia. As for his favorite zapping techniques....mmm, "non-erupting polenta."

(The name for this post is from here, btw.)

No comments: