Monday, October 20, 2008

Phanaticism

The fact that the Phillies are playing in the World Series this year is just sort of crazy to me. It was made crazier by reading this other fact: "The age of the team combined with its history of adversity has earned them the distinction of having lost the most games of any team in the history of major league Baseball."

The last time the Phillies played in the World Series was over a decade ago (and when I knew the whole lineup), and their only victory was in 1980 (and when my parents went to see it). I have a T-shirt from then that declares them world champs, and while I am really just happy they've got to this point, I can't help but hope it's lucky. The other, silly, off-topic thing I just realized is that both teams names are guys's names, so that MLB heds like "Rays Earn Date with Phils" make me think of a guys in suits or uniforms on a double date eating at a candlelit table. Because while I enjoy baseball, experience has taught me not to take it too seriously.

2 comments:

Michael said...

1-0 baby. we're taking this all the way.

Kim said...

woo!