Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Blaming it on the rain

Last night, I went to my first Nats game at their new stadium. It didn't start or end well.

I unthinkingly got on the D6 to Stadium-Armory, realized that said stadium didn't apply to where I was actually going, and got on the metro. Got off at Waterfront, like Tyler advised, but should have gotten off at Navy Yard; while walking, it started to pour. Then it rained some more.

Then, at the top of the fourth, they delayed the game. I ate peanuts, joked around, talked on the phone. Two hours later (about 10 p.m.), they resumed play. Some live-action bobblehead presidents ran a race; I was told it's rigged so that TR never wins (Wikipedia confirms it). "Jefferson" won. Maybe ten minutes later, the rain started again! Given that we had already patiently waited a few hours, we weren't going to stick around any longer. Don't think we get a rain check because they eventually finished the game. Apparently at some point they made an announcement that they were going to reimburse people $1.35 for the metro. (Can you hear my scoffing?)

From what I saw of it from under my umbrella, the stadium seems alright. Like most new(ish) baseball stadiums I've seen (Camden Yards + Citizens Bank Park) , it feels very open. Unrelated, but my hot dog made my stomach hurt. Finally, one of the weird things is that the women's restroom had no mirrors, just reflective plastic frames with Geico ads. I didn't really need one, despite feeling kind of disheveled from the rain, but that seemed weird to me.

Conclusion: I'll go back in July when the Phillies play.

No comments: