Friday, May 2, 2008

Avoid Champlain St. NW at night

This depressing City Paper cover story just came out about a guy Aaron had mentioned to me at least a few days ago. Christopher Savage had just gotten to D.C. and started working at the Black Cat, and he was mugged and beaten a few blocks from my house and near the City Paper office. After having been in town less than a week, he died (toxicology reports "are pending"). For how much shit some people give the paper, the story itself is heartfelt (Jason's good at that) and says it all pretty well.

I realize there's plenty of crime in D.C., and Savage's death certainly isn't the only one worth talking about. I mention it here because it hits literally close to home.

I rarely feel unsafe, but Champlain near Kalorama has always made me uncomfortable. Last year I learned it's in a police "hot zone." Champlain dead ends near Marie Reed, which I don't think helps things. (Less traffic flow? It doesn't seem to matter that the MPDC third district station is on V between 16th and 17th.) The fact that Savage was ganged up on by a bunch of kids there isn't so surprising to me, unfortunately, just based on stories I've heard from other people. My boss when I worked at CP had been beaten up by a group of teens, too, nearby.

No comments: