Wednesday, May 7, 2008

"Is this some radical new therapy?"

I'm not entirely sure why this NYT article about creating new habits appeared in Sunday's Business section, but the topic is interesting enough. Personally I've changed a lot especially within the past year and, woo for my "parallel synaptic paths," I've established new habits , patterns, and all of that.

Honestly, what stuck out to me amidst all the standard stuff about how learning new things wards off dementia was this line: "She recommends practicing a Japanese technique called kaizen, which calls for tiny, continuous improvements."

What immediately came to mind was the 1991 Bill Murray movie What About Bob? and the "baby steps" credo espoused by Richard Dreyfuss's character, shrink Dr. Leo Marvin. (I watched this one, Groundhog Day, and Rushmore innumerable times with a high school boyfriend.) So basically, I know that it's important to keep trying new stuff, that baby steps aren't a bad idea even if the shrink is crazy too, and that I should probably finally set up my own Netflix account because I now have an overwhelming urge to rewatch Bill Murray movies.

No comments: