Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Lost and not necessarily found

I am a pretty observant person, and in some regards my mind's a steel trap, but I am a chronic loser of things. I put crap down and just forget what I did with it.

Sometimes, it's food--I'll take a few bites of a muffin, put it down, and find it half an hour later. (This clearly has the potential for being gross, but I've discovered that I leave snacks either on my desk, bedside table, or dresser, so no food stays un-found for too long.) I once lost a coat for over a year, only to find it in a suitcase. A boyfriend counseled my dad to buy me a larger iPod over a Shuffle not because of increased storage capacity, but because I would inevitably lose the tinier one. (My dad bought the Shuffle. To my credit it was once misplaced for a few weeks, but it is still with me, more than a year later, only because I always keep it in the same place.)

Fortunately, I've never lost anything terribly important or expensive (see: iPod), but it seems strange to me to feel so "with it" with some things and so absent-minded with others. I mostly just don't want to wind up as an old lady who points ointment on her toast and her dentures in juice.

No comments: